
The Home’s Origin
About Deemer & House:
The Elias Deemer House and accompanying carriage house, built in 1887 by architect Eber Culver, is an outstanding example of Queen Anne fine workmanship, especially the cherry wainscoating in the foyer and front hall and three floors of cherry stairway railings. The house has undergone much restoration.
Elias Deemer bought the land from Mary S.B. Shenk on Dec 1, 1884, then subdivided the land selling the portion on the corner to Edwin A. Rowley on April 11, 1885. They both started building their respective homes in 1887.
Elias Deemer was a lumber baron, Congressman and Founder /President of the Williamsport National Bank. He was married to Henrietta Hunt and had four children, William, Mary, Laura and Lulu. Elias Deemer died in 1919 (his wife predeceased him), and Mary and Laura lived in the house until 1930 They sold it to Vandergrift Funeral Home, which was bought by Manevals in 1936.
Owners Daniel H. Llewellyn and Susan Anderson bought the house in 2000. They hailed from St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, but are now residents of PA.